Blocking the aromatase is crucial for decreasing estrogen, whether you have high testosterone or not. Lower aromatase activity will leaves more testosterone to bind with androgen receptors to exert its anabolic effect, as well as to be converted to DHT via 5-AR (5 alpha reductase).
High Estrogen symptoms include:
- Pelvic pain
- Night wakings and sweats (can’t sleep through the night)
- Hot flashes
- Edema, puffiness, water retention
- Vascular problems (varicose and spider veins)
- Increased risk of migraine
- Low body temperature (can also be low thyroid)
- Brain fog
- Frequent urination during the night (small bladder feeling)
- Struggle to build muscle
- Fatigue and depression
- High serotonin (estrogen increases serotonin) (A)
- High prolactin (A)
- High cortisol (1) (A)
High estrogen in men increases the risk of prostate cancer, autoimmune diseases, diabetes and many other things…
Keep in mind, estrogen and prolactin go hand in hand and some of these symptoms might be the same. More on lowering prolactin here.
Estrogen is classified as a stress hormone. It increases in times of stress, both physical and emotional. Exercise, on the other hand, is a healthy stressor, and actually helps rid the body of estrogen.
For more supplement options to lower the aromatase, check it out here…
Powerfully lowers the aromatase and also antagonizes the estrogen receptors. Caffeine also increases dopamine and lowers serotonin. Start with 200mg 2-3 times daily and increase dose so that you can take 400mg 3x daily for maximal benefit. If you get anxious from caffeine, combine it with niacinamide, taurine, ornithine, glycine or theanine.
- ProLab Caffeine – 200mg per cap, 100 caps
2) Oleuropein (olive leaf extract)
Oleuropein naturally occurs in olive leaves and olive oil, and is a very a potent aromatase inhibitor which also rivals aromatase inhibitory drugs. It’s “comparable to that of the reference anti-aromatase drug aminoglutethimide“. (2)
- Olive leaf extract – 500mg per cap, 15% oleuropein, 90 caps
3) Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that acts similar to a steroid hormone. It protects and aid in the synthesize of androgens, while powerfully decreasing estrogen and prolactin. It antagonizes estrogen receptors and also inhibits the aromatase. (3)
Start with 200-400 IU daily.
- Vitamin E – 400IU per serving, 120 caps. Mixed tocopherol (high alpha and delta tocopherol).
- IdealabsDC TocoVit – 37,5IU per drop, 600 drops per container, very pure wheat germ extract with no additives. Can be taken topically or orally.
Not only is it a precursor to DHT, which blocks estrogen, but it’s also a very potent aromatase inhibitor itself and 2-3mg is enough to inhibit the aromatase by 90%. It processes other benefits such as pro-thyroid, pro-metabolism and it’s also very beneficial for your liver and kidney.
- Androsterone – 1mg per drop, 240 drops (take only topically). Adjust the dose so that you find your own sweet point.
Niacinamide is a powerful aromatase inhibitor, and it also lowers cortisol and antagonizes estrogen receptors. It’s also potent anti-anxiety, and is awesome to combine with caffeine.
Use 500mg niacinamide with 400mg caffeine three times daily. (start with less caffeine and work up to that dose)
- Niacinamide – 500mg per cap, 100 caps